Sunday, October 9, 2011

Exploring Nature in Wells, Maine

On Friday I decided to travel to some trails that I had read about in Wells, Maine.  I have my local trails that I love, but sometimes (many times) it is nice to get out and see something new.

First stop was the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge.  A chance to see a New England Cottontail in its natural habitat is enough to get me out of bed early on my day off :) Yes, I love bunnies, who doesn't?  No, don't answer that because I would have to hate anyone who disliked bunnies, and that will waste too much  energy that could be used for something better :-D

Carson Trail @ Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge
Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge
I did see one bunny hopping around, but didn't get a good view because he was well protected under some overgrown brush (good for him being safe!).  It was an easy one mile or so loop around some woods and marsh land with little bridges & scenic outlook posts. Quite charming. Leashed pets are allowed on this trail & I wish I had my dog with me to enjoy it that day. 

After leaving the Rachel Carson park I decided to visit the Wells National Estuarine Research Reserve at Laudholm which is close to the Rachel Carson land; across one of those quaint one lane bridges that you find in this area of the country. Quaint because I didn't have to deal with anyone trying to use the bridge at the same time as me.

I walked around the grounds at the Wells Estuary and started to walk down the path to take me to the beach, but I got distracted by the cart path which is narrow boardwalk type of a path through the woods. I'll have to go back another day to check out the other trails on the property and see what the beach views are like there. I'm sad that dogs aren't allowed on this property because I would love to take my dog for a walk along the beach on a cool autumn day.

Carson Trail @ Rachel Carson NWR
Whimsical path on Carson Trail
Cart Path @ Wells Estuary
Historic Laudholm Farm @ Wells Estuary

For more photos see my Wells, Maine set on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment